Monday, August 22, 2011

My DVR: For Better or For Worse


Or, How My DVR Has Changed My Life
 
I have been video taping my favorite TV shows for as long as I can remember.  It got to the point where I could, and I’m dating myself by saying this, program my VCR like that.  With the advent of DVR, or digital video recording, one would expect my habits to be more of the same, if not slightly more tech-ier (yes, it IS a word).  The results, I’m guilty to admit, are less to be desired. 

Anyone who has been accustomed to their DVR can attest to this statement to a certain degree:  I find myself wanting to rewind certain things in my life (or, have the same functionality of a DVR for moments in my life).  For instance, I was listening to the radio this morning when the traffic report came on.  I zoned out for a mere two seconds before realizing the reporter was speaking traffic talk.  My first thought was, “Oh wait, can I rewind that?  Maybe she mentioned something important about my commute. Oh wait, I can’t.  Because this is real life.  Gotcha.  Or, another unabashed example was at work.  I was taking notes during a meeting and could not keep up with the person talking.  He was on warp speed and I was just getting on the freeway.  I thought it would’ve been so perfect if I could just pause him (a la “Out of This World” – who remembers that fine piece of television programming?). 

I also find myself watching too much TV.  As I often times explain, “I have so many taped shows that I have to do a DVR-watching session just to make room for more shows.”  That statement in itself is a vicious circle.  I think I’m fairly active and there’s enough in my life to keep me from being glued to the boob tube, but every once in a while I like to lay like broccoli, clear my mind, and watch an episode of Gossip Girl.  And that will usually lead to that night’s episode of Conan, the previous night’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and on and on.  I’ve found too many different types of programming to watch, many thing to the Guide.  Oh how easy it is nowadays to view what’s airing next week on any given channel.  Remember the one lonesome guide channel that gave you a scrolling list of the TV shows for the next 90 minutes?

Before I completely call myself out, I’ll stop at this – I’ve gotten too spoiled.  Rarely do I ever catch a program “live”.  Why would I watch it in real-time when I could wait 15-20 minutes and forward through the commercials?  I used to like commercials, found them charming and creative.  Now I’m desensitized and, save for the occasional iTunes/Apple commercial with those damningly catchy songs, couldn’t tell you what the latest advertisements are gracing my television screen.  On the contrary, DVR does give you the freedom to go about your life.  I don’t have to go home to watch my favorite show. I can instead choose to spend time with friends and / or family with the comfort of knowing my DVR has got my TV cravings taken care of. 

Over the years, I’ve grown a love-hate relationship with my DVR.  I couldn’t fully give it up, nor would I want I choose to do such a thing.  I’ll just have to accept that I cannot pause life, continue to live it and be in the moment, and give the couch potato in me a big hug (and a good slap in the face every now and then).   

No comments:

Post a Comment