Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget

I woke up this morning, picked up my phone and checked my Twitter feed, as I'm apt to do most mornings.  90% of the tweets were regarding 9/11.  Always Remember, Never Forget.  It was humbling to realize that it's been 10 years since that dreadful day.  As it's been said, 9/11 is the JFK Assassination of our generation.  You'll always remember where you were when you heard the news that the Twin Towers were struck.


The morning it happened, I was still in college, living in an apartment with 3 other girls.  I woke up to hear two of my roommates talking about how the second tower was just hit.  "What?" I thought.  Groggily, I got out of bed, wiped my eyes.  I vaguely remember them saying that the Twin Towers were hit.  I couldn't really make sense of it, like it was all a dream.  I walked out into the living room where they were watching the footage live.  The towers hadn't fallen yet at that point, but just seeing that initial image of the towers was jolting.

We all had classes that morning and were all getting ready.  I thought to myself, how is the school going to handle this?  It seemed almost silly to be going to class that day when something so huge was happening.  Nonetheless, we did.  I had an 8am class that morning.  By that time, the towers had fallen and we were all in disbelief.  We discussed it in class briefly, but our professor was keen on staying focused on that day's class.  In hindsight, it was probably best.  At that point, we really knew nothing, other than it was an act of terrorism.  Whom the terrorists were at that point, why it was done, was all still speculation at that point.  An hour later, class let out.  I called up my uncle as I walked back to the apartment.  We talked in short about what happened that morning, what was currently going on, and trying to make sense of why.  There were no conclusions at the end of the conversation, but it was good to talk to someone back home and have that connection.

Beyond that, I can't go into more detail.  Everything seems like a blur after that.  Watching the news footage, hearing the heartbreaking news of fallen firefighters and regular people just going about their day.  It was all too much.. it still is, in fact.

"9/11" evokes so many emotions and memories for everyone.  Terrorists.  Firefighters.  Loss.  Politics.  Heartbreak.  Heroes.  Remember.  

Of all the tributes occurring here and around the world, the most touching for me came from the French.  A friend of mine currently vacationing in Paris tweeted about the Eiffel Tower between two towers, one of which said: "The French Will Never Forget".  I found an artist's rendering and I can only imagine that the final constructed piece was a sight to see.  82-foot replicas of the Twin Towers were installed on the large square overlooking the Eiffel Tower, alongside enormous French and American flags meant to represent the solid friendship between the two countries.


I reflect today and am really humbled and grateful for my family and friends, for the life I have with my husband.  As someone earlier tweeted:  Today is NOT a day for politics or conspiracy theories. It's a day to honor those who passed and love the ones who are still here. #remember



Stay safe, everyone.  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment